Wednesday, December 6, 2006

Oh, I miss Malleshwaram

This blog was done at 2:45 AM. I am hit by bloody insomnia these days. Daughter woke up to answer nature call at 1:30 AM. I am watching champions league match between Barcelona vs W Bremen. With Barca leading 2-0 early, Ronaldino & co look pretty comfortable and it boring for me. So decided to blog.

Being born and living in Malleshwaram/Seshadripuram for 34 years the decision to move to Sanjaynagar after buying house there I thought would be difficult. But surprisingly it was easier than I thought. Even my mother who lived in Malleshwaram for 40+ years adjusted surprisingly well. Sometimes I wonder why. The push factor was high than the pull factor. Listing out why we moved.
1. After the birth of my twins the 2 BHK house we lived became too small and the size of the rooms were pretty small.
2. Traffic and pollution on South End road became unbearable. It was risk for children who have started walking. With vehicle starting to move on footpath we decided to scoot.
3. Wanted to move to an independent house. Well we shared the building with aunties and cousins.
4. The heat in the summers. The house had large windows facing west which meant the house became an Owen in summers.

The area where we moved in to is Sanjaynagar, AECS layout. It has access from in one direction only, which meant very few vehicles on road away from pollution and relatively safe for kids. It also means they may not be traffic savvy. The house we moved is very cool, almost cold in winter. Well it is like old Bangalore.
This meant adjusting was easy.

I start missing Malleshwaram /Seshadripuram when I pass through the area, I feel like very uncomfortable and there is a knot in my stomach. So though I will try to put down what I miss, not necessarily in the order.
1. Watching people standing in the balcony, we could do it from 5 AM to 10:30 PM.
2. The number of banks and ATM which we close. I had account in 3 banks within 1/2 kms. Citbank had 4 ATMs within a radius of 1 kms from home.
3. The CTR hotel on 7t cross and Margosa road junction with it is delicious crispy bennae masales (the best masalae dosae you get). Only place where I could eat 2 of them.
4. Dil pasand and bennae biscuit from Brahmin's bakery on Link road, opposite to that the varieties of chow chows from misae angadi.
5. Good old Shetty angadis. I learnt shopping from there. Knew them well.
6. The Reddy petrol bunk at Nehru circle Seshadripuram, where we could be assured that we will not be cheated. i still go there for petrol sometimes.
7. The video tape to VCD conversion (this is a pretty new addiction)
8. Chandru who used to wash my car every day.
9. The hallimane and new krishna Bhavan.
10. Ganesh medicals with its friendly owner Ramesh.
11. The route South End Road, link Road, sehsdripuram which I have been taking from II standard till the day we left the place.
12. Off course, how easy it was to go to Sridhar's house in (kumara park) to meet my friends. Now it seems a looong drive.
13. Any part of Bangalore was about 15-20 Kms. Autos rarely refused any destination. Bus stop was 100 feet (though I never used it).
14. It shops of all sizes and you get almost any you wanted.


Well I guess I will get used to Sanjaynagar pretty soon. But somethings I have to live without. I hope to go back to old place after re-building. May be not, I can’t imagine myself staying in a flat.

4 comments:

PK said...

Good one, i think you can start writing your experience in life.. without any censors... Happy writing....

Unknown said...

it was very nice to share your feelings and it is a fact what you have mentioned about malleshwaram

D said...

Well,I would not leave Malleshwaram for anything.Your location was perfect.By the way ,my friend has a flat in Mantri Apartments next to the Mantri Mall in Malleshwaram.And Hallimane is close by, you can eat Obbattu daily.

regards

Kallu said...

Mantri Mall has become my favoutie shopping place now, almost go there every fortnight. Do you stay in Malleshwaram?