Wednesday, December 6, 2006

What’s wrong with Arsenal?

I got seduced by Henry and company about 3 years back and became a fan of Arsenal FC. The smooth flowing passing game with deadly acceleration towards the box and the orgasmic finish wowed me. Have been following these guys since then. The unbeaten run of 49 matches to retain premier league was great. Last season was a dampner and this only wrong way.
What’s gone wrong, losing to Fulham, West ham, CSKA, etc Bolton W have always been a pain. Well have not read what experts have to say. Here is my take. Lack of experience, earlier team was built around Henry, Viera, Bergkamp, Gilberto, Campbell/Cole (last 2 doubtful?). I was astonished when Viera and Cole were let go last season. Replaced by youngsters like Van Persie, Fabergas, Sendros (why hasn't he come back?), etc. These guys are extremely good. I have watched only 3-4 games this season one against ManU, liverpool, West Ham and Hotspurs. This team is pretty good but they lack the killer touch. They seem to lack confidence and arrogance of earlier team. The ability pierce open defense easily seems to have gone. Chelsea I find it does it most easily. They seem to lack the physical edge. Passion seems to have gone down (wonder if this is to do with lack of English players). Wenger almost never points to mistake of his team in public. Nice fella I guess.

Commentators mentioned that Wenger is building this team with future in mind. They would be a great team in 2-3 years. Hopefully it would, I was convinced in the match against Hotspurs. The board and fans must be pretty patient compare this Indian cricket team coach Chappel's attempt to build a team of future with youngsters.

I hope Arsenal will bounce back soon. There still hope in Champions league and FA cup (Liverpool is next). I miss their beautiful game. Will wait for it.

No comments: