Monday, December 11, 2006

Can Bandipur be popular with tourists?


I had been to Bandipura last weekend. I was excited about going to Bandipur after pretty long time. We landed in MC resorts late in the evening.
It was pretty basic with some cottages. It clean and freshly painted felt comfortable. Guess it was OK for the price they charged about Rs 700 for a double bed room.
The resort provided food which was not bad being far away from Mysuru or Bengalooru. We had asked for camp fire and music. Camp fire was ok with a basic portable player.
We were told that we will be going on a Safari for 1 1/2 hrs whereas govt rides was only for 45 mins. Wow I thought hoping to catch a glimpse of a tiger (Even though I knew that was unlikely in this season) and an elephant herd.
We started at 6:30 AM. We saw a peacock this raised my hopes and couple of deer and then it was nothing for another half hour. We managed to see a Indian Gaur herd. That was it. Finally after roaming for 1 15 mins we saw lots of deer and few more peacock. Well I almost fell asleep in between. What the hell I find sleeping so difficult these days and I almost dozed off, wildlife and nature interests me. It was good to drive in forest but for how long?

The point is in this season you don’t see animals. How would tourists spent time? Of course there is Himavath Goplaswami temple close by. A visit would take about 2-3 hours. Then what? The place can keep you occupied for 1 day max. If tourists are to come they need to be entertained. I saw 3 other resorts. Jungle lodges, Nilgiris resorts and Govt. guest house. All of them are similar providing a place to sleep and sit. How long can anybody sit after going on a safari during dawn and dusk? Sleep I guess. These private resorts which are outside forest reserve can have some facilities like other resorts to keep guest engaged. More people coming and spending more time means more bucks.
Trekking is a good option but no sign of it being encouraged anywhere.
I also see good business opportunity.

Or have I got it all wrong. Is it intentionally restricted? or are there better places which I am not aware of?

No comments: