Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Growing up the twins - 1

Bringing up kids are always a challege to parents. I always thought I could bring up the way I want and had great plans to so. Well I found thoughts and actions are 2 different things.

I have 2 kids who are twins a boy and a girl. Girl being older by 3 minutes. They are 2 yrs and 3 months. First year was full of curisosity for me since it was almost 10yrs since I had seen a baby closely and was very very exicted about it.

Before that general comment from 90% of people whom I meet is "lucky you, you have childern of both sexes in one shot you dont have to worry anymore". My standard response is "We palnned for 1 and got another as bonus".
Another question they ask is are they identical?
Well depending on who questions I used to respond.
If it was somebody close and had completed eduction fairly recently, I explain about they coming out of 2 differnt eggs and they being like sister and brother born in different years. For Others I say no.
Next question inevitably be do they behave similar. My stock reply "They have nothing in common except parents and birthday". Which to some extent is true.

I have tried to capture the differences between them in the first year.

When I first saw them in hospital. Son was sleeping and daughter was looking around. This was probably my happiest moment of my life. What a joy.....
Daughter was lighter by 100 gms. After that it was daughter who sleeping most of the time and son active. We could already see lot difference in their behoviour. Son always used to scream for milk. she never bothered to. She was very small and soft, i used to sometime wonder if she had bones at all. She had long hairs. He hardly any.
Even the voices very different she soft and he rough one, so was the skin. He had such rough skin it was almost like leather.

Son was sarted reconizing people much ealier. She was quiet and contended to be with mom. Son wanted to be carried, she dint want to be bothered. Fist year diff in weights went on increasing.
Sone resisted the change to solid food and missed his milk. Daughter it dint matter. She was always in her world and was not bothered by anything.

We named them Rishica and Rishabh meaning Saintly and second note of clasical music Re respectively.
Her grand father (mom's father) always used she was an angel his favourite. She would prove him how wrong he was in matter few months
Then they moved from Mom's parents house to my house.
Mom started to work when they were 5 months old. Grandparents (particularly mother) took care of them.
Daughter missed her mom. For her feeding was mom or grad mom. Son it din't matter as long as it was on time. My aunts were my neighbours it was a great help they being so close.
Soon daughter started a dislike for milk feeding her was a big challenge. Her movements were very quick. We used be surprised by force with which she used knock of the milk bottle and glass. The lack of mass, she made up with acceleration.
I bought a handycam to record all this and now the blog.
Son had a face which was a round, so the obvious choice of pet name was Gunda. A happy baby ready to smile at people. Eager to drink milk. I remember when he was about 3-4 months, I used to take is bottle near him and he used to open his mouth and when could not get it he used to start crying.
My son turned over at 5 months and daughter it was almost a week or 2 later. But moving forward she took so long I took her to doctor. Doc told me she was the weaker twin. Normally 1 twin takes in more nutrients than the other and hence she was lack stength in her legs and hips. She did sit and walk almost 2 months after the son did.
We left them with Grand parents and went out on a trip to BR hills in midst of forest for couple of days when they were 7 months. We get a call after one day that daughter has sever dysentry problem. 160 kms it tool about 8 hrs to reach home. By that time she had recivered. She scared the lights out of us and made us feel very very guilty for leaving them. It took another 2 year for next trip.
Rishabh without support walked 2 days before his first birhtday. Rishca took couple months more.
He started talking with 2 letter (in Kannada) words like Amma, appa, etc by 1 year. She still had to start off.

Well it is an intersting experince how children different even they are born and brought in smiilar conditions.
The differences only increased as they grew up.

1 comment:

Bill Graber said...

I have twin girls who are a little over 3 weeks old and I am already noticing the differences they display, one of the girls is very vocal the other quiet and one of my girls is much longer then the other.