Friday, November 17, 2006

Admission to pre-Nursery School

This has been a hot topic in recent times, with Supreme court of India giving good directives on criteria for admission. I thought it was logical. I was following this up with great interest because my kids were in line for admission for next June.

All the schools started the admission process in October 06 for classes starting in Jun 07.
Applications submitted and to my horror the kids and of course had to undergo an interview before admission. What about the Supreme Court’s order. Was told, "Sir that is only for Delhi schools".
I had no choice it was same with all 4 schools I had short listed.

Next step prepare the kids for an Interview :-( (some of them call it interaction). Well with twins a boy and a girl I was competing for 2 seats. My twins have nothing in common except for parent and birthday. My son the 3 minutes younger is a quick learner and fairly obedient fellow. My daughter the Akka (That’s how my son addresses her) is moody. She does everything her own way including learning. She probably is as smart but learns anything if it interests her. At 2 years 3 months, they have just started forming sentences and half the words are incomprehensive for us, for others it is at least 75%.

Well I was sure my son could somehow manage these interviews. I was worried about my daughter's responses.

First School Presidency:
One child with one parent and 2 teachers interviewing the family. Father-daughter and mother-son combination waiting nervously for questions.

Teacher: What is your name?
Father (thinking): praying please respond
Daughter: (Even before I could finish praying) Rikaka.
Wow I could feel myself almost jumping in joy.
She was given rings and asked to put it on a pole (Hanoi's tower?). Wells she started...
Teacher picked up a yellow ring and asked what color. She said geeeen. That’s the only response she has for any question on color.
Teacher: good girl sing a rhymes
Daugher : din don bel.......... of course only the family can understand the rest.

Just turned around to see how son was doing. He refused to open his mouth or respond.
Teacher: Which colour is this?
Son: No response (preferred to look at his sister. BTW he can recognize 4 colors).
Teacher: Ring the pole.
Walks towards is sister.
Parents: helpless

Finally he was shown some pictures, parents ask him what? Aeroplane and ship interests him and he tells that.
Parents are mightily relived.

Judgment time. Sons teacher: "You daughter is smarter and more friendly". Well I am outraged, how can she pass judgment like that in 5-10 mins?
Well I told her "my son is much friendlier and know much more and he probably is shy”. She just said they are through with interview. Next is principal.

Verdict "selected and then pay up donation and fees.

Point is kids can be themselves when they are comfortable.
They need to time to familiarize with new faces and surrounding.
When he/she gets questioned they do not even know they have to respond.
They are interested in some other things around than what is given to them.
They learn something new every hour/day. Interviewing 9 months in advance…
Is there any criteria for selecting or rejecting? (It’s a secret)

Main thing is whether it is right to make a decision on a 5-10 minute interaction.

Teachers being professionals teaching kids do they not understand this much? It is probably understood but don’t have choice when it comes to other business matters.

About being selected, I always thought they had selected based on parents education, professional and salary. These are in application.

No playground, cramped space within school, but a huge donation. Decided my kids won’t go to that school.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I agree with u Mr. Kallu.Even I went through the same situation few days back for admissions to my kids.I don't know how these procedures are going on stillll...
Something should be done to stop all these non-sense.