Monday, November 27, 2006

Conversation with Auto Robert

My Car broke down late in the evening, planned to take an auto, well i was getting in after a long time.
Many auto refused to come from airport road to Sanjaynagar. Finally one old chap agreed, but I was to pay 10 bucks extra. For a moment i wanted to say no. Inspite of 10 bucks not being much.
Once I got in he started the conversation. he was trying to justify why he nobody would come to North Bangalore (rather start of North Bangalore.
I remembered an article by a Chinese MBA who had written about logic used by Taxi driver for picking passengers and picking the route of their choice I felt Bangalore auto drivers have always being doing it.
Well this was a chance for me to hear from the horse's mouth. Started off with his name, Guess he felt good that somebody was asking his name, Told me it was Robert with pride. "My mother tongue is English, I am an Anglo Indian", he said beaming. I was surprised that an Anglo Indian would be driving a rick. Also thought, Anglo Indian, English mother tongue so what and why are you driving a rick? After I asked his name he felt good and also slightly guilty. he said it was not fair on his part to ask me for extra money. It was after all my hard earned money. He was right. But I thought he asked an amount that was very minute and was probably big for him and he feels guilty about.

Asked him I wanted to understand reasons for not taking the passengers to required destination. Some of them were obvious and some new.
1. It had to be in the direction of home if it was evenings.
2. They prefer taking customer on long distances. They could earn a lot in a single trip with less wait time. Mentally for them it was better. But disadvantage was that he may not find customer if he wanted to comeback.
3. Lot of minimum fare is most profitable. Some preferred that.
4. Some guys who had other sources of income like rents will go to areas of their choice as this was not primary source. They work for sake of their wife and in laws.

Was wondering why after 29 years he still doesn’t own an auto. Got the answer soon.

he took the conversation to is personal life. He took up driving from a very young age 19yrs since he had to support his family. He had 4 brother and 2 were handicapped and could not work (I could not get my self to ask him what). He was a widower with a school going son. He has admitted him to a reputed school of course English medium. He has hired another auto rick to pick up and drop his son from home.

He was working for the same auto owner for all the 29 yrs and he used borrow money often and it had to return it back. Owner has promised him that he would gift the auto in after 30 years. I just hope he keeps his words.

He says he earns Rs 500-600 in a day after subtracting fuel and rental (Rs 150). Thats decent earning even for Bangalore. He says many drivers drink, gamble and womanize and that’s the reason they seem to be poor.

he also told me that near his place some North Indian boys had bought flats for 10 - 12 lakhs near his house. He described the arrogance and meanness of the those hindi speaking fellas. I totally agree with this. In his younger days it seems he was a part time rowdy ad used to cut people up. He says he is refined and believes in God.
Poor chap in the area he lives it would be 3 times the amount. Bangalore has left the poor and grown too fast.

He dropped 1 1/2 kms from home near the main road as agreed. He wanted to shake my hands of course which I did.

Wonder if any customer ever talks to him. I normally hear music on FM, but the conversation made me feel good. I felt this made him feel happy and I had good insight into life of a auto driver which we dont normally care too.

I decided to walk home instead of taking another auto. I just hope he will get the promised gift. More than that his would do well in the Bangalore boom which his father seems to have missed.

No comments: